O’Dwyer’s, New Orleans $10 Illegal Club Chip
Last Update: 2018-08-10
Inserts: 3 Blue
Collected By: A. J. Giametta
100 Jefferson Highway
New Orleans, Louisiana 70121
Open: 1949, Close: 1951
The O’Dwyer’s Club was located in New Orleans, Louisiana. It was opened from 1949 to 1951 at 100 Jefferson Highway. The reason for its closing was because of Governor Jimmie Davis. Reportedly, there were thousands of people who would attend these illegal gaming activities nightly. For the people who went, it was an opportunity to dress up, eat a meal and gamble.
The O’Dwyer family was reportedly in illegal gaming in Louisiana from 1916 to 1960. They operated different illegal gaming businesses. Even though they were illegal gaming joints in New Orleans, the family even made its only postcards and matchbooks like a traditional casino. Today, a Salvation Army store is located at the address where the gaming operation was.