Commercial Hotel aka Monte Carlo Club, Elko 1965 Token
Last Update: 2023-08-21
345 4th Street
Elko, Nevada 89801
Type: Land Based Slots Only
Open: 1955/1970, Close: 1970/No
NOTES –The Commercial, built in 1869, was originally named the Humboldt Lodging House. It was purchased in 1893 and renamed Commercial in 1941, with the advent of the legalized gaming in Nevada.
The early history of Commercial is filled with folklore. In the 1800’s Commercial was the scene of a murder when “Handsome Harry” and his mistress (an infamous Elko prostitute) were shot to death by her husband in one of the second floor hotel rooms. Rumors, and many sightings, have it that Handsome Harry wanders the second floor of the old hotel looking for his lost lover yet today! The fate of the estranged husband is uncertain, but many say he killed himself because he could not cope with the loss of his wife.
Although unsubstantiated, Commercial is probably the only casino in the world with a 10 foot, 4 inch giant white polar bear stuffed and standing guard by the entrance. White King was killed by an Eskimo in Alaska. The actual date of his is death unknown. The stuffed, mounted polar bear was purchased by a former casino owner from Jonas Brothers when they were located in Denver. White King resides in the same location in Commercial today that he has occupied since his arrival in 1958.